The earth without art is just "eh".
According to Wikipedia, art began as "an activity made by humans in a visual form for aesthetical or communicative purposes, expressing ideas, emotions or in general a worldview."
Now, it's more accessible than ever before, in many ways other than just hanging on the wall.
1. You can carry it with you.
2. You can get techie with it.
3. You can vacation with it.
4. You can keep your inner most thoughts in it.
5. You can become human with it.
6. You can restyle your space with it
7. You can turn laziness into an art form.
8. You can get zen with it.
Of course, you can always just buy a framed print and hang it on the wall.